drawnplans.co.uk | architectural services, planning applications and home extensions

Home > Areas of Interest > Planning Permission > Planning Permission


Planning Permission

Printable Version

The Planning Regulations

Access to Planning Websites for your Local Authority can be had via http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/

What will it cost ?

In general a Householder Planning application will cost 150.00

A non Householder Planning application will cost 335.00

All planning applications must be accompanied by an O/S site plan for your property  if you do not have one you will need to purchase one from your Local Authority they generally cost about 30.00, although this does vary from department to department. 

If you have your own copy it is generally attached to the land registry document that you would have seen when you purchased your property. Your solicitor may have a copy. The Ordnance Survey also has a network of Superplan agents who supply copies of this plan for 35.00. We would like to point out that this document is copyright to the Ordnance Survey.

Do I need Planning Permission ?

Our advice is always to check with your Local Authority Planning Department. Even if the Planning Department verbally tells you that you do not require permission ask for a confirmation in writing and file it with your other important house documents.

The number of people that we draw plans for that have been told they do not need Planning Permission is far to many a confirmation in writing is safety and security.

This is especially relevant to a Porch, a conservatory and an attic conversion. We always become involved in applications like these when people are trying to sell their houses and to be honest it's the last thing they need at that that time as it can cause severe delays in selling and buying houses. Confirmation in writing should be safety and security. For a fee you can also obtain a certificate from your Planning Department.

The need for planning permission.

You will need planning permission when:

arrow making an extension to a domestic property, but it is not needed when making internal alterations that do not affect the aesthetics of the property.

arrow Dividing part of your property into a usage as a separate home.

arrow Dividing part of a property for commercial usage or when building a parking place for a commercial vehicle.

arrow Building something that opposes the terms of the original planning permission of the property (e.g. when building a fence in a front garden because it is an "open plan" estate).

arrow the work that is to be done will involve a new or wider access to a trunk or classified road.

If you live in a Conservation Area, a National Park, etc., you will need to make an application for certain types of work that may not need an application in other areas. There are also other considerations when the property is a listed building.

Extending a domestic property.

The need to apply for planning permission arises :

arrow when you wish to build an extension which would be closer to a highway than the nearest part of the original building, unless there is at least 20m between the extension and the highway.

arrow When more than half the original building would be covered by the extension.

arrow When the extension is to be higher than the original building; or is more than 4m high and within 2m of the boundary of the property.( This does not apply to roof extensions.)

Special considerations for loft conversions and dormer windows.

You are not normally required to apply for planning permission when you want to re-roof your house; or the insertion of roof lights or skylights. However, you need to apply when;

arrow The extension to any roof slope will face the highway.

arrow The roof extension may add more than 40 cubic metres to the volume of a terraced house or 50 cubic metres to other kinds of houses.

arrow The height of the roof would increase.

Adding a porch to your property.

Planning permission for a porch applies when the extension would have an externally measured ground area of more than 3m, or would be higher than 3m above ground level, or would be less than two metres away from the boundary or public highway.

Putting up a physical barrier (e.g. wall ).

Normally permission is not needed, unless the property is a listed building; or the wall, would be over 1m high and next to a public highway used for vehicles; or over 2m high elsewhere.

The type of application.

In most cases you will need to make a full application, but there may be some situations where you may want to make an outline application - this means that the you can find out what the your local council thinks of the building work before detailed drawings are produced.

Each application must be accompanied by an OS. Site Plan, and a copy of the drawings showing the proposed work, including the appropriate fee.

When permission is granted.

Unless the permission states otherwise, you can commence the building work any time within five years of the granting of permission. If you have not started work by then, you will need to re-apply.

If outline approval has been granted, you will need to submit a further application for approval of reserved matters before starting work. This must be done within 3 years of the approval of outline permission.

Planning Regulations

Access to Planning Websites for your Local Authority can be had via http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/

printable versionPrintable Version


Copyright 2008 drawnplans

| Sitemap | Link Exchange | Architectural Services |


^ Top